Tuesday, June 26, 2007

~Can I come to your house to practice my English?~

I have been going to the Fruit and Veggie market right in front of our street almost every Saturday for 11 months. At that market there is a fruit stand and the 2 ladies there (Aunt and niece) are very sweet and I've gotten along well with them. Well, a couple Saturdays ago, the younger of the ladies (Neyla) asked me if she could come to my house and practice her ENGLISH! I teasingly told her that we could practice English AND Spanish. =) ~Neyla and I~

So, I told her that the only day that would work for me was Tuesday, for Mondays are our family days, we have church on Wednesday, and Thursday nights and have to leave at 3:30 for those services, and Fridays and Saturdays I'm getting ready for Sundays...baking my 100 cookies, ironing all of my clean laundry, etc. Also, as a wife and Mommy of 3, school and piano teacher, and pastor's wife... I HAVE TONS in life to do, and can't just spend hours sitting down visiting.
~Neyla and I~

She came last week and stayed 5 hours, and we had a good visit. She told me that when she first SAW ME...she wanted to ask me if she could practice her English with me...but it took her 11 months to get up her nerve to ask me. =) She told me that when I said "YES"...SHE WAS VERY HAPPY AND EXCITED!! She knows her English in her head...but needs to practice speaking it. She is a single girl (that lives with a man), and her parents died when she was young. I was excited for she had mentioned that she wanted to learn how to make cookies, for that would give us something to do, while we practiced our English. But when she got here, I found out that she has problems with her sugar so cannot eat fruits, cookies, breads, pastas, very much meat, etc. Poor lady! Sooo...last week I mentioned to her that I'd be interested in learning some Colombian soup recipes...MINUS THE STRANGE MEATS (cow and chicken feet, cow gut, etc!)...for we Gringos don't eat that kind of meat. =) She is to come again TODAY, with a recipe...please pray that we will have a profitable time together...and please pray that I can touch her life for Jesus.

(An update on my parents packing...God is helping. As their kids, we would LOVE To be helping them...but we all live so far away, and cannot just fly home when we want...so we have been asking God to send them some help! We got a nice email last night saying that God had sent a lot of their dear church people to help them load the truck and they are 3/4 of the way done, and will work again on Tuesday, TODAY. PRAISE GOD! That means a lot to my heart! Please keep them in your prayers. Not that they are old...but they aren't getting any younger...and packing and moving is HARD ON EVEN A YOUNG PERSON!! Thanks! And Praise the Lord, I'm feeling better! =)

9 comments:

Kim M. said...

Heather this sounds like an awesome witnessing opportunity for you! I will pray specifically that you will be a light to this girl.

Rob and Deanna said...

What a pretty, sweet girl! We'll be praying for you as you build a friendship.

Vonnie said...

I am so glad to hear of the help "Mom and Dad" are getting. They are definitely not old but moving is very hard on anyone. Linc and Lyn leave in a week and I am very sad about that. We are having such a good time with them. Glad you can befriend this young girl. I will be praying for you both!!

Michelle said...

Heather, As Deanna said she is a very pretty and sweet looking girl. I will be praying for you as your friendship grows.

Kelly S said...

Hi Heather! We've been away for a week and a half. I have missed blogging! It has taken me awhile to catch up on everybody. I enjoyed reading all your latest news.

You're a very good seamstress. I wish I could sew even a split! I tried one time cutting out the belly of a skirt and sewing a piece of material there to make it maternity. When I loaned my maternity clothes to my sister (Kim), she came across that skirt and LAUGHED! I guess I had used some sort of big zig-zag stitch? But hey, nobody could see it under the maternity shirt! heehee. Good thing Sis. Miles lives close by!

Anonymous said...

Dear Heather,
Exciting possibilities!
Aunt Linda

Darlene Bray said...

Hi Heather,
What a great way for The Lord to use you! Johnathan's team has a flight scheduled back to FL on July 3rd, I hope that helps. I am not quite sure of the "time". With it being an international flight, I guess the time could vary quite a bit.

Making Memories 1999 said...

Thanks so much for your kind note on my blog. I've been out of the "blog world" for a little while. Good to do a little "catch up" on your blog. Great sewing pics!! I'm sure the girls loved sewing! I loved the bloomers!! Wish I could sew some for my little lady!! Also, what a great opportunity for "friendship ministry" with this young lady. May God's blessings be on you as you show Christ to her! Thank you!!

Myranda said...

Been a while since I have been around - enjoyed catching up on your blog.

We will pray for you and your friend!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...