Thursday, July 28, 2011

~Fun Food Friday...Choc.-Strawberry Celebration Cake~

~So here's the recipe that I promised to post of this yummy cake I made.  It looks complicated, but I found it to be pretty easy, yummy, and FUN to make!  A line that caught my attention when I first saw this cake in the T.O.H. magazine was..."As a groom's cake, it gets more attention than the wedding cake!"~
(I just made a choc. cake mix and DID NOT add anything to it.  (With the high altitude here I have trouble with homemade cake recipes.)  So, you can follow their cake recipe, or just make a choc. cake of your choice, then use their icing, choc. garnishes, and choc. ganache.

Ingredients

  • 1 package (18-1/4 ounces) chocolate cake mix
  • 1 package (3.9 ounces) instant chocolate pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted

  • FROSTING:
  • 2 cups butter, softened
  • 4 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 3/4 cup baking cocoa
  • 1/2 cup 2% milk

  • GARNISHES:
  • 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
  • 1 pound fresh strawberries, hulled

  • GANACHE:
  • 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
  • 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream

Directions

  • Combine the first seven ingredients; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes. Transfer to two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
  • Bake at 350° for 28-32 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
  • In a large bowl, cream the butter, confectioner's sugar and cocoa until light and fluffy. Beat in milk until smooth. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake.
  • Pipe or spoon melted chocolate onto waxed paper in decorative designs; let stand until set. Arrange strawberries on top of cake.
  • For ganache, place chocolate in a small bowl. Heat cream just to a boil; pour over chocolate and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over top of cake, allowing ganache to drape down the sides. Top with chocolate garnishes. Yield: 12 servings.

~This made a TON of choc. icing which I stored in the refrigerator in a zip lock bag.  Yesterday I made some choc. cupcakes and threw the rest of the cake in a loaf pan.  Then I used some of the left-over choc. icing to icing the cupcakes and this cake.  (I STILL had choc. icing left over!)
Then, for today's dessert I cut some of our TREASURED Mini Reeses cups that the Hausmans brought us and garnished the top of my cake.  DELICIOUS!~

And as ALWAYS...Enjoy!

4 comments:

Bryanna Shirk said...

Looks yummy!!!! I love the strawberries and chocolate on top. It makes it soooooooooo pretty!!!!! Will have to try it some time!!!!

sherryldickinson said...

Now, this cake looks downright edible! Plus, it's absolutely gorgeous! Yes, I would like a piece of it!
Your exhausted morning with the spilled scrambled eggs made my heart feel really sad. I tried to pray that Jesus would help each of you to get some much needed rest. It is so nice to have the means of prayer in which to tell our griefs to Jesus. The song, The Royal Telephone, on the internet Cyber Hymnal song book is a real good one. I listened to that song awhile back and I really enjoyed it.
Love, Mom D

lila said...

Thanks for the recipe, I will have to try it. It looks beautiful like all of your things do. Love Sherry D's posts. She is sweet and has a nice way with words. love you tons

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for the great information you havr provided! You have touched on crucuial points! wedding cakes pictures

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...