Friday, September 16, 2011

~Fun Food Friday..."Pilgrim Pies"~

Well, here it is nearly "midnight" and I'm just now posting a recipe for Fun Food Friday.  Sorry, I've had quite the day. =)
Today I wanted to share with you a yummy fall cookie recipe. I made these "pumpkin" cookies the other day and we enjoyed them.  (I think I may have shared it years ago.)
First...you have to bake 3 winter squash...to get the pumpkin.  Hee! Hee!  (You don't, but I do! `~`)
My Mother-in-law got this recipe years ago from a dear friend...Sis. Jewel Sparks from GBS.  It's yummy.
~Pumpkin Cookies~
Beat together
2 cups shortening
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 cups pumpkin
1 t. vanilla
Add:
1 1/2 t. cinnamon
1 t. salt
2 t. soda
2 t. baking powder
5 cups flour
Bake in desired size of cookie on greased pan at 375 for 8 to 10 mins.
Now, you can frost these with a frosting, or you can make "Pilgrim Pies" with them putting icing between 2 cookies.
At first I used a cream cheese frosting...and after eating only ONE cookie...my family and I about had a diabetic attack!  HA! So, I mixed up a different less rich icing and we thought they were lots better!  I'm posting both icing recipes so you can choose what you want to make to frost your cookies.
~Cream Cheese Frosting~
4 oz. cream cheese room temp
1 stick butter or marg. (1/2 cup)
2 t. vanilla
4-5 cups of powdered sugar
Beat cream cheese, butter, vanilla until fluffy.  Add powd. sugar 1/2 cup at a time until spreadable.

~Mock Whipped Cream Icing~
From My sweet Sister Laura
(This recipe is great on choc. cake, pumpkin cookies, cupcakes, etc.)
MAKE THIS FIRST SO IT CAN BE COOLING FOR IT TAKES AWHILE!!
Heat stirring VERY often (almost constant) till this makes a paste.
5 Tab. flour
1 cup milk
Dump into a cereal bowl and Cool completely in refrigerator, covered with wax paper!!
While that is cooling:
Beat several mins. till fluffy:
1 cup (2 sticks) butter or marg.
1 cup white sugar
1 t. vanilla
After fluffy add COOLED PASTE from 'fridge and beat several more minutes.  This icing doesn't refrigerate very well, but lasts for a couple days out of 'fridge.
And as Always....Enjoy!
~The day of Phillip's birthday, I was BUSY in the kitchen making goodies for him and Sarah had Mary in her room with her.  Without my knowing it, Noah came up to Sarah's room and got baby Mary and brought her downstairs to play with her.  But later...he decided to go out to play leaving baby Mary alone!  A few minutes later...Phillip found a baby Mary UP ON THE FOURTH FLOOR playing with Elijah.   She had crawled up about 36 steps by herself!  We have a spiral stair case...which means she could have fallen if she would have crawled on the "skinny part" of the stairs.  ={
Talk about having a nervous break-down. =)  But, Thank the Lord she was fine.  Thankfully, she's learning how to come down backwards.~
~We have a small store within the gates of our housing development and the other day Kimberly, Sarah, and Noah took baby Mary with them to get something I needed.  (Elijah was taking a nap.)  Baby Mary and Noah came back with SMILES...for the store lady had loved them so much that she gave them each a free sucker. =)~

3 comments:

lila said...

Your cookie display is adorable. The cookies look so yummy. You know how I love pumpkin treats. So glad sweet Mary didn't fall down the steps. Love the post.

Daryl Hausman said...

The cookies look DELICIOUS! And baby Mary is SO adorable...she is getting TO big!
love
nh

Daryl Hausman said...

How i LOVE that "Ooooo!" face that Mary's making! Can't tell whether it's "You caught me" or what? Love ya, Laura
Bryan is waiting on me to start school (late b/c of therapy for Natasha... so I better run!)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...