Saturday, September 15, 2012

~Long hair...a lady's Glory.~

Nicole left this comment, and so I'm using this blog post to answer her question. =)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 
"I know this is off topic but I have a question about women cutting/trimming their hair.  Is it a sin for a women to cut/trim her hair? I have been going to a church that the women do not cut their hair but no one tells me why I should not cut my hair.  I want to follow the Lord and live by the bible but no one is taking the time to answer me.


I hope you and your family have a blessed week.

In Christ
Nicole
"
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Dearest Nicole, Thank you for your comment.  I really appreciate your sincere attitude in wanting to walk carefully with the Lord.  May God bless you!
I will try to answer your question to the best of my ability (without my preacher husband here to help me. =)

~My friend Marisol and I.~
I have typed out my answers in red in between the verses, so you can find them easier.
Here are the verses that we believe are telling us how God wants both men and women to wear our hair. 

1Co 11:4  Every man praying or prophesying, having his head covered, dishonoureth his head.
1Co 11:5  But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
~The way we understand this Scripture is that A lady is to have long un-cut/un-trimmed hair.  In verse 6 it says that if she cuts/trims her hair, in God's sight it's the same as if she were shaved bald.
~Some argue that "trimming is not the same as cutting."  However, I think that if I were to ask that person to hold out their finger, so I could just "trim" off a little, that they'd yell, "WAIT, you can't CUT off the end of my finger!"  
1Co 11:6  For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven (bald), let her be covered.
~We all feel sorry for those of our friends who have lost their hair due to a sickness, and have to wear something to cover their balding head.
1Co 11:14  Doth not even nature itself teach you, that, if a man have long hair, it is a shame unto him?
~Likewise we believe that vs. 14 is saying that a man should not have long hair.  That he should keep it cut.  
1Co 11:15  But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for her hair is given her for a covering.
~Some think that the Bible is saying that women need to wear a covering on her (like some kind of cloth or lace), but in verse 15 it says That... "her HAIR is given to her for a covering."  

~I was raised with a preacher Daddy that taught me what I am writing here.  And my Phillip believes that same way.  So, my hair and that of our daughters Kimberly, Sarah, and Mary has never had the scissors in it.     It's never been trimmed/cut.  We all have different hair lengths, but if we leave the scissors out...we are letting Jesus decide how Long is LONG.  (vs. 15).  =)
~I would rather get to Heaven and God tell me that I misunderstood Scripture and I COULD HAVE done some things that I don't do, than to have Him ask me,
"Why Didn't you do such and such...it was right there in my WORD?" (The Bible!)  And then He would say..."Depart from me, I never knew you!"   (How very SAD that would be!!)
~I'll be praying that God will guide you in your walk with Him.  He loves you and CARES FOR YOU, and even has the HAIRS of your head numbered.  =)
(((Hugs))),
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question!I will be praying and seeking the Lords guidance on the matter of my hair.


My God bless you and yours.


In Christ
Nicole

Unknown said...

I have used these scriptures with the women at our new pastorate. They came from the Amish and send their children to a minnonite school but they are holiness. The girls have mentioned several times about the Minnonites trying to tell them that they need to wear coverings. I always point to these scriptures and tell them, that I was taught that as long as you keep the scissors out your hair is your covering.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I looked up "long" in Websters Dictionary one time and it says uncut.

mmsbryan said...

Thanks for taking time to answer the question of your new friend. As does an earthly Dad, so our Heavenly Father so appreciates a daughter-heart that wants to follow carefully His bidding. Our goal of all four of you that God blessed our home was to carefully "train up a child" Thank you little girl for following that training and passing it to your children and to those you minister. It blesses my Moma-heart and I humbly thank Him and you. Love, Moma

Sarah Cook said...

Wow, Heather, you hardly EVER hear anyone say anything about this subject these days! I, too, do not cut or trim (same thing) mine... though it has been falling out... so sad... I think it was because of my thyroid surgery and then my counts were off for a while... hope my hair grows again. I don't cut my girls' hair either... but, little miss Hope has done it to her hair maybe 2 or 3 times and you should see what kind of "bangs" she has created... Yikes! It is like 3 different lengths of "bangs", cause I didn't cut it to fix her damage... hopefully, she will stay away from the scissors or she is going to have a sore bottom, cause this mama is going to have to put a stop to it! I don't even cut out gum... I work it out... peanut butter or ice or whatever. My 6 year old has the longest and it is beautiful blond hair... so happy for her! I wish we could hear more about this, cause it seems nearly everybody around here is cutting their hair.

Daryl Hausman said...

Heather for "some reason" I'm just now getting caught up with your posts! Sorry. Love you dear and Praise the Lord for your life, example and taking time to do this post, on top of everything else you are doing there for Jesus! =) Someone said the other day, "God only has to say things ONCE, He need NOT repeat Himself over and over... He is GOD!" Why would we want to shame Christ by cutting our hair? Oh may we all be faithful to walk a careful walk in these days and bring "Glory" and Honor and praise to Jesus! Praising Him for the "Glory" that He has given to me and our girls. Oh my heart prays that we will ALWAYS walk in His ways and leave the scissors OUT. It is NOT A CROSS to follow the One you LOVE! Love ya, Laura

lila said...

God's word is written for our instruction in righteous living. If it was not important for a woman to have long hair it would not have been written. God said what he means and means what He said. I appreciate this lady's concern and the seeking of God's will in her life. He is faithful to us all. Praise His Name Love you tons





Anonymous said...

I have a question/comment concerning this...
I have very thick straight hair that I would love to keep as long as possible. Yet I suffer from daily migraines (including inability to eat, or work, or do anything but lay in bed) if my hair gets much longer than the middle of my back due to the weight of my hair.
I keep it trimmed to the longest length I can and still be able to function. At first I was quite troubled by this, but began to wonder...
If Jesus Christ loves me so much as to die on the cross for me and to cover me with His righteousness, would he actually ask me to do something that is physically debilitating and prevents me from serving Him and my family?
If He is the God of Love that we
Christians say that He is, why would He ask us to do something, such as this, that would actually prevent us from serving Him?
I don't mean to be critical or harsh in any way, but just raise another point to be considered.
In Christ

The Dickinsons said...

Dear "In Christ,"
Thank you for your comment. I'm so sorry for what you are facing, I know that cannot be easy!! In what I wrote on my blog, I was addressing a "normal situation" and not addressing special physical needs.
I do not have the wisdom nor the mind of God to deal with everyone's situation. However, I do know that God is faithful and willing to guide each one who willingly and earnestly seeks Him and His Word for wisdom in their special physical situations.
I appreciate your sincerity and pray that Jesus will help your horrible headaches to go away soon.

Blessings,
~Heather~

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...